Massage affords one of the effective means of influencing the function of the human body. Every function is powerfully influenced by some or all procedures.
3 Categories of Effects:
Mechanical – Tissue is passive and hands of masseur mechanically affect the tissue
- a. Blood and lymph movement
- b. Replacing of displaced viscera
Reflex – Reflex arcs are made within the body. Touch influences sensory nerves which carry the signal to the nerve centers which in turn send out a message to affect change in the body.
- a. All procedures of massage produce powerful reflex effects
- b. Stroking, percussion and vibration
Metabolic – changes in the tissue at the site of massage and in the body as a whole due to mechanical and reflex effects of massage.
- a. Increase white blood cells
- b. Increase nutrition to tissue